Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Two Blurbs and Some Fun

I've been sitting here at my computer, half staring at the monitor and half looking through random websites and articles I've saved. Nothing has motivated me to write today - nothing of substance anyway.

I mean, we have Gen. Petraeus and Amb. Crocker telling a Senate Committee that they have no idea when things will be better or what "better" will even look like. But as soon as they see it, they'll begin bringing my step-brother, many high school and college friends, and the rest of our troops home. Idiots and bad news - not going there today.

This guy here, Dr. James Hansen is the head of the Nasa Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York and he is "call[ing] for a sharp reduction in C02 limits.Hansen says the EU target of 550 parts per million of C02 - the most stringent in the world - should be slashed to 350ppm. He argues the cut is needed if “humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilisation developed”. Bush says joining the Kyoto Protocol which aims to lower CO2 in our atmosphere, would be bad for the economy. But now we're in a recession, so the economy sucks and the air I breathe is still polluted.

Ok, I lied. I guess I did have two things of substance on the top of my mind. But I was short about them. Now...onto some fun things!



This is funny: The End of the World



Good engineering, but this can't be safe, I'm sure.



A canoe made out of used chopsticks is here.



" Einstein@Home is a program that uses your computer's idle time to search for spinning neutron stars (also called pulsars) using data from the LIGO and GEO gravitational wave detectors. Einstein@Home is a World Year of Physics 2005 project supported by the American Physical Society (APS) and by a number of international organizations."



It's all about perspective: Sidewalk Chalk Guy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Frank,

It seems to me that you are having a case of the bla’s. Understandable, I’ve had them lately myself. Please excuse my delayed response from your last email. You left it open for reply with several questions and I have not been able to find the time to counter.

After such an interruption it may be wise to revisit our last entries in order to start off where we last left off and have it make more sense.

I had previously asked you if you worked, mainly because I was interested in the line of work that you do. What job would you find appropriate/suitable especially since you hold a level of expectation on many things, I figured your line of work would not be much different. I was not looking for a name or location; my intentions were not to go there.

I had also mentioned that your statements point out the obvious, in which you had responded with a disagreement. I still feel that the people that would read a blog like yours are the informed and that the non-interested would never dream to continue further than the 1 minute (on any subject) offered on the morning or evening news.

On to answering some of the questions that you had asked.

21/21 I try and recycle everything that I possibly can. I manage to maintain a compost pile as well in my backyard. I work in an environment that supports recycling and they dispose of metal, plastics, cardboard and things like that that I can not take care of myself at home. My work environment is also very energy aware and it seems that everyone keeps an eye on everyone else to help keep them as green as possible.

20/21 I do not buy all organic food. Please do not frown, I do when I have the opportunity (or $).

19/21 I absolutely support local businesses, however I did have to go into the “evil empire” yesterday and get something. You’re frowning…I can tell.

18/21 I do not call or write my elected representatives. Please do not tell me that I am not doing my part, I just choose not to do it that way.

17/21 I talk with my neighbors and friends until they are no longer interested and then I talk about the weather, which has been horrible lately.

16/21 I volunteer.

Thank you for your questions and interesting entries on your site. I definitely felt invited to respond.